Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Twin Kittens Scrap Project


I have been having an enjoyable time organizing and planning my projects for the new year!  In my sorting and arranging,  I came across a little Xeroxed pattern from my Mom's files, which I think she must have used for a bazaar project years ago--so I decided to try it out in her honor, and in honor of Baby K's second birthday this month.  And since I am doing the sewing, of course it had to be a scrap project!


I cut bodies for two little kittens from the pattern, using some 'tea dyed' muslin from my stash, and sewed all the way around each with a 1/8" seam.  After clipping all the curves and angles, I made a slash (about 1-1/2") vertically in their backs, turned and pressed them, and stitched across the base of the ears to keep them flat.  

I stuffed the kitties and sutured up their incisions.  Let me just say one more time how much I LOVE Morning Glory 'Cluster Stuff' craft stuffing!  The fibers are curly and springy, and fill stuffed spaces lightly and evenly with no effort at all!  I got mine at Walmart.  It's a must!

Even though there is no talent for painting in these hands of mine, but I did bravely paint on their little faces with acrylic paint according to the pattern, and made little whiskers with a super-fine Sharpie--this is far outside my comfort zone!

The fabrics for the kitties' tiny dresses also came into my fabric stash from my Mom's fabric stash, as well as the eyelet for their collars.  I hemmed the fabric rectangles, slashed the armholes and treated them with Fraycheck, and turned and hand gathered the top edges around the kittens' necks.  A stitched-on little bow finishes them off.

I'm afraid they look cold--maybe a little blanket. . .

7 comments:

  1. They're darling! I agree about the "Cluster Stuff"...I happened on it by accident (ordered it from Amazon since it was cheap and I couldn't get out to the store)...and now I'm loath to use anything else! I think your little kitties need a sweet rag basket (like a rag rug, but wound tighter till it becomes a little bowl/basket) to nestle down into. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!!!! Such a great project and such a great present!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "maybe a blanket..." and then a portable little bed for them and then a carriage with teeny tiny wheels.... I can see how this could become a full-time crafting project with tons of potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! A little carriage with wheels. . .

      Delete
  4. I love these kittens, but found muslin frayed too easily for sewing such small pieces and was very absorbent so couldn't be finely painted etc. Did you perhaps use cotton lawn or something similar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jane! Hmmm--now that I think of it I believe I used a nice-quality 100% cotton quilting fabric with a 'tea dyed' effect. It had a lovely smooth surface and stitched and turned nicely. Thanks for the question! --Wendy

      Delete

I love feedback. Leave me a comment!